Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Fascination of the Carters of Virginia

"Sabine Hall", Warsaw, Virginia
One of the most incredible family lineages in Virginia was that of Robert "King" Carter.  Throughout the family and its successful marriages, they amassed over 50,000 acres of land and over 500 slaves.  Landon Carter (1710-1778) built "Sabine Hall" in Warsaw, Virginia (Richmond County) ca 1738.  Colonel Landon Carter was the father of eight children, all equally successful in growing large estates.  He named a grandson, George Carter, presumably a son of Landon Carter, Jr. who was the last surviving executor of George's Estate.  In 1798 George Carter, a son of Robert Carter III, inherited 3400 acres of land of the "Leo Plantation", which he renamed "Oatlands".  For those who have not located this estate, it is found in Alexandria City, Virginia and includes 56 pages of affidavits from various relatives.  The affidavits begin with John Cutter, the husband of Sally Carter Cutter (daughter of George) who stated that in 1807 when he was in the King Street home in Alexandria, that Sally mentioned that when she died she wished her mother to have all of her estate.  The Carters owned numerous plantations in Virginia, most of which are available to tourists.  The estate of George Carter in Alexandria City provides more information concerning his properties and names his heirs. This 56-page document is found on Virginia Pioneers .   The website has many images of old wills and estates for the State of Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment